Saturday, March 8, 2008

53 mozzie bites on my left leg































It has been too long since my last post. I don't even know where to start.
Lets start with pictures.

Left top: eating a radish at a taqueria with Jason in San Francisco.

Right top: I had the nerves on the flight from Oakland to Hawaii so I busted out the pink play-doh I was saving for desperate times and made a tiny elephant. The man who sat next to me was crazy and was wailing on our black woman flight attendant for "being rude". He finally settled on telling her to "Be Quiet! Be Quiet!" as an effective way to deal with her. Back to the elephant..

Bottom Left: I met Meredith at the airport and we took a taxi into the hostel in Honolulu. At this point, it was 3pm and I hadn't eaten since the previous day. Needless to say, food was an order before we could proceed with anything else. People in Hawaii have a different sense of direction. Any inquiry into the direction of "food" was met with:
1. Sorry. I am a tourist.
2. That way. (points in some general direction)
3. Walk that way. (point) and then that way (point).
It helps to know which direction is the mountains (mauka) and the ocean (makai). I might've just totally butchered those spellings but you intent there. Meredith and I walked this way and that and finally found an adorable sushi place and gorged ourselves. On the way back, we saw our first and second rainbows at the same time!

Botton Right: Our hostel. Aloha! It was next to student housing for the Uni of Hawaii, Moana so every other day, a dashing young man would ascend the coconut tree to fetch a few coconuts to drink and eat. yum! Oh! And I lived with 3 other SIT program folks plus one or two other travelers.

My time is up at this internet cafe so you will have to wait until next time!

2 comments:

Trina said...

i hope you saved that play-dough masterpiece to add to your elephant-themed decor! what would that make, 20?

jill said...

the wrong eye is little.